You can apply for a Minister of Religion visa (T2) if you've been offered a job within a faith community (for example as a minister of religion, missionary, or member of a religious order) in the UK. The T2 Minister of Religion route can lead to settlement in the UK and the applicant can bring his/her family members as dependants.

If you wish to support the activities of a UK religious institution by conducting religious work such as working in a religious order or undertaking non-pastoral work for a religious order, for no more than 2 years, you may wish to consider the Religious Worker visa (Temporary Work) instead.

If you need legal advice or help with a UK visa application or any other immigration matter, get in touch with our highly experienced immigration solicitors in London on  0203 432 6006 or fill in our online enquiry form.

Requirements for Minister of Religion visa

You must meet the following requirements to qualify for a Minister of Religion visa:

  • You are aged 18 or over;
  • You have an offer of a job as a minister of religion from an approved sponsor that holds a T2 Minister of Religion Visa sponsor licence (which requires a valid Certificate of Sponsorship for the role you wish to undertake);
  • You genuinely intend, and are able, to undertake the role for which you are being sponsored;
  • You satisfy an English language requirement;
  • You have personal savings to support yourself in the UK;
  • Your application does not fall for refusal under the general grounds for refusal;
  • You have provided a valid TB certificate (if required).

Certificate of sponsorship

A certificate of sponsorship holds your personal details and information about the job you've been offered. It's an electronic record, not a paper document. Your sponsor will give you a certificate of sponsorship reference number to add to your application.

You can only use your certificate of sponsorship reference number once. You must use it within 3 months of getting it.

Knowledge of English

You may need to prove your knowledge of the English language when you apply. You can prove your knowledge of English by passing an approved English language test with at least CEFRlevel B2 in reading, writing, speaking and listening

Your partner and children

Your partner and children can apply to join you or to stay in the UK as your 'dependants' if they're eligible. If their application is successful, their visa will end on the same date as yours.

Extend your visa

You may be able to apply to extend your stay in the UK under a Minister of Religion visa (T2). You'll still need to meet the eligibility requirements and provide the right documents. You'll also need a new certificate of sponsorship from your sponsor.

Why choose Western Solicitors

  • Expertise: Our solicitors are legal experts in the field of immigration law and have years of experience in handling immigration cases.
  • In-depth knowledge: Our immigration solicitors keep up to date with the latest changes and developments in immigration law. This means they can provide you with the most up-to-date and accurate advice on your specific immigration issue.
  • Support: We will provide you with the necessary support and guidance throughout the immigration process. We will advise you on any legal requirements or potential obstacles that may arise.
  • One-stop service: We will advise you about eligibility criteria, requirements, and required supporting documents. We will prepare your whole application and submit it to the Home Office.
  • Time-saving: Applying for any type of visa or citizenship can be a complex and time-consuming process. By using our service, you can rest assured that your application will be prepared and submitted correctly, saving you time and stress.
  • Better chance of success: We can help you to present your case effectively which can maximize your chances of success.