The Unmarried Partner visa is a type of visa that allows an individual to enter or remain in the UK on the basis of their relationship with a British citizen, a person settled in the UK or a person with refugee status or humanitarian protection.

To apply for the Unmarried Partner visa, the applicant must demonstrate that they have been in a committed relationship with their partner for at least 2 years and have the intention to continue living together in the UK. The visa is granted for a period of 30 months and can be extended for a further 30 months. After 5 years of continuous residence in the UK, the applicant may be eligible to apply for settlement.

If you need legal advice or help with a UK visa application or any other immigration matter, get in touch with our highly experienced immigration solicitors in London on  0203 432 6006 or fill in our online enquiry form.

Eligibility requirements for an Unmarried Partner visa

To qualify for a UK unmarried partner visa you must satisfy the following requirements:

  • You and your spouse must be 18 years old or over.
  • You must have lived two or more years together before making the application.
  • You must intend to live together permanently.
  • You must have enough money to support yourselves (and any dependents) without claiming public funds.
  • Your sponsoring partner must earn more than £18,600 per year or have enough savings to be able to sponsor you. The minimum financial requirement is higher if they are also sponsoring dependent children.
  • You must have suitable accommodation for you, your spouse, and any dependants.
  • You must satisfy the English language requirements.

How long does a UK Unmarried Partner visa last?

The duration that the unmarried UK partner visa is valid depends on where you are applying from. For instance, if applying from overseas, the visa will be issued for a period of 33 months. However, if you are making the application from within the UK itself, then the visa will be issued for a period of 30 months instead.

Can the Unmarried Partner visa be extended?

As is often the case, an unmarried partner of a UK citizen might reach their visa expiration date but wish to remain in the UK with their long-term partner. Fortunately, it’s possible to apply for a further extension of an additional 30 months while in the UK, on top of the initial 30 or 33 months of the visa's validity.

Why choose Western Solicitors

  • Expertise: Our solicitors are legal experts in the field of immigration law and have years of experience in handling immigration cases.
  • In-depth knowledge: Our immigration solicitors keep up to date with the latest changes and developments in immigration law. This means they can provide you with the most up-to-date and accurate advice on your specific immigration issue.
  • Support: We will provide you with the necessary support and guidance throughout the immigration process. We will advise you on any legal requirements or potential obstacles that may arise.
  • One-stop service: We will advise you about eligibility criteria, requirements, and required supporting documents. We will prepare your whole application and submit it to the Home Office.
  • Time-saving: Applying for any type of visa or citizenship can be a complex and time-consuming process. By using our service, you can rest assured that your application will be prepared and submitted correctly, saving you time and stress.
  • Better chance of success: We can help you to present your case effectively which can maximize your chances of success.