You can apply for an International Sportsperson visa if you meet the eligibility requirements and your sport's governing body endorses your application, confirming:

  • you're an elite sportsperson or qualified coach
  • you're internationally established
  • your employment will develop your sport in the UK at the highest level

This visa replaced the Sportsperson (T2) visa and the sporting part of the Temporary Worker - Creative and Sporting visa (T5).

If you need legal advice or help with a UK visa application or any other immigration matter, get in touch with our highly experienced immigration solicitors in London on  0203 432 6006 or fill in our online enquiry form.

Requirements for an International Sportsperson visa

To be eligible to apply for an International Sportsperson visa, you need to:

  • have a valid certificate of sponsorship for your job
  • usually prove that you can speak and understand English, if you're applying to stay for longer than 12 months
  • have personal savings so you can support yourself when you arrive in the UK
  • show you can travel and your travel history over the last 5 years
  • have tuberculosis test results if you're from a listed country
  • have an eligible qualification, if you're switching from a student visa

You must meet all other requirements depending on your circumstances.

Certificate of sponsorship

A certificate of sponsorship holds your personal details and information about the job you've been offered. It's an electronic record, not a paper document. Your sponsor will give you a certificate of sponsorship reference number to add to your application. You can only use your certificate of sponsorship reference number once. You must use it within 3 months of getting it.

Money to support yourself

You must have at least £1,270 in your bank account to show you can support yourself in the UK. You will need to have had the money available for at least 28 days in a row. Day 28 must be within 31 days of applying for your visa.

Knowledge of English

If you are applying to stay for longer than 12 months, you may need to prove your knowledge of the English language. You can prove your knowledge of English by passing an approved English language test with at least CEFR level A1 in speaking and listening.

Your partner and children

Your partner and children can apply to join you or to stay in the UK as your ‘dependants' if they're eligible. If their application is successful, their visa will end on the same date as yours.

Extend your visa

You can apply to extend your stay in the UK under an International Sportsperson visa. You must have your endorsement by your sport's governing body renewed and a new certificate of sponsorship reference number.

Your partner or child's visa will not automatically extend if you extend yours. If they do not extend their visa, it will be valid until its original end date. They can either apply at the same time as you, or at any time before their current visa expires.

Why choose Western Solicitors

  • Expertise: Our solicitors are legal experts in the field of immigration law and have years of experience in handling immigration cases.
  • In-depth knowledge: Our immigration solicitors keep up to date with the latest changes and developments in immigration law. This means they can provide you with the most up-to-date and accurate advice on your specific immigration issue.
  • Support: We will provide you with the necessary support and guidance throughout the immigration process. We will advise you on any legal requirements or potential obstacles that may arise.
  • One-stop service: We will advise you about eligibility criteria, requirements, and required supporting documents. We will prepare your whole application and submit it to the Home Office.
  • Time-saving: Applying for any type of visa or citizenship can be a complex and time-consuming process. By using our service, you can rest assured that your application will be prepared and submitted correctly, saving you time and stress.
  • Better chance of success: We can help you to present your case effectively which can maximize your chances of success.