The parent of British child visa route is for a parent who has responsibility for or direct access to their child after the breakdown of the relationship with other parent of the same child. The parent of a British child visa permits the parent to live with their child in the United Kingdom.

You can apply for leave to remain as a parent of a British child under 5 years route to settlement if you meet the relevant requirements under Appendix FM of the immigration rules including adequate maintenance, English, and immigration status requirements. Under 5 years parent visa route, you will become eligible to apply for indefinite leave to remain (ILR).

If you need legal advice or help with a UK visa application or any other immigration matter, get in touch with our highly experienced immigration solicitors in London on  0203 432 6006 or fill in our online enquiry form.

Relationship requirement under the parent visa route

The child of the applicant must be:

  • under the age of 18 at the date of application
  • living in the UK
  • a British citizen or settled in the UK.

The applicant must have sole parental responsibility for the child, or be the parent or carer the child normally lives with and must be:

  • a British citizen or settled in the UK
  • not the applicant's partner
  • ineligible for leave to remain as a partner under Appendix FM.

The applicant must provide specified evidence he/she:

  • either has the sole parental responsibility for or access rights to the child
  • is taking, and intends to continue to take, an active role in the child's upbringing.

 Evidence of direct access to the child for the parent visa route

Under the Immigration Rules, the applicant must prove they have access rights to the child by submitting either:

  • a residence order or a contact order granted by a court in the UK, or
  • a sworn affidavit from the UK resident parent or carer of the child, the affidavit must:
    • confirm the parent applying can have access to the child
    • describe in detail the arrangements to allow for this, If contact is supervised, the supervisor must swear the statement, and
    • be sworn before, and certified by a legal officer.

If the applicant does not have sole parental responsibility for the child, they must supply evidence to show the parent or carer with who the child normally lives is a British citizen or settled in the UK.

Evidence can include:

  • a British passport
  • a foreign passport endorsed with 'indefinite leave to remain' or 'no time limit'
  • letters from the UK Border Agency confirming that the person is resident in the UK.

Why choose Western Solicitors

  • Expertise: Our solicitors are legal experts in the field of immigration law and have years of experience in handling immigration cases.
  • In-depth knowledge: Our immigration solicitors keep up to date with the latest changes and developments in immigration law. This means they can provide you with the most up-to-date and accurate advice on your specific immigration issue.
  • Support: We will provide you with the necessary support and guidance throughout the immigration process. We will advise you on any legal requirements or potential obstacles that may arise.
  • One-stop service: We will advise you about eligibility criteria, requirements, and required supporting documents. We will prepare your whole application and submit it to the Home Office.
  • Time-saving: Applying for any type of visa or citizenship can be a complex and time-consuming process. By using our service, you can rest assured that your application will be prepared and submitted correctly, saving you time and stress.
  • Better chance of success: We can help you to present your case effectively which can maximize your chances of success.