The Civil Partner visa will allow you to enter and remain in the UK as a civil partner of a British citizen. You can switch from a proposed civil partner visa to a civil partner visa if you are already in the UK.

The Civil Partner visa application will be considered under Appendix FM of the immigration rules. If you meet all the requirements under Appendix FM of the immigration rules, you will be granted 2.5 years leave to remain under 5 years route to settlement and then after 5 years, you will be eligible to apply for ILR.

If you need legal advice or help with a UK visa application or any other immigration matter, get in touch with our highly experienced immigration solicitors in London on  0203 432 6006 or fill in our online enquiry form.

Eligibility requirements for a Civil Partner visa

You must meet all the following requirements under Appendix FM to apply proposed civil partner visa to enter the UK:

  • You must have met each other;
  • You must be in the UK with valid leave to remain;
  • You must have the intention to live together in the UK;
  • Evidence of civil partnership;
  • You must meet the financial requirements under Appendix FM;
  • You must meet the English language requirement; and
  • You must have adequate accommodation to live with your UK spouse without recourse to public funds.

Financial requirement for a civil partner visa

To demonstrate that you can be adequately maintained in the UK without recourse to public funds, you must satisfy the financial requirement as required under Appendix FM.

The financial requirement for the civil partner visa is that you will need to demonstrate that your partner (or both of you jointly if you are in the UK with valid leave to remain) has a gross annual income of at least:

  • £18,600; plus
  • £3,800 for a first child (who is not British, settled or an EEA national); plus
  • £2,400 for each additional child (who is not British, settled or an EEA national).

You may be able to seek an exemption from the financial requirements under special circumstances.

Adequate accommodation for a civil partner visa

Appendix FM of the Immigration Rules says the applicant must provide evidence:

  • To show they can maintain and accommodate themselves and any dependants in the UK without recourse to public funds. And
  • There will be adequate accommodation in the UK, for themselves and/or family, without recourse to public funds. This includes any family members not included in the application, but who live in the same household.

Accommodation will not be adequate if:

  • it is overcrowded
  • it contravenes public health regulations.

Why choose Western Solicitors

  • Expertise: Our solicitors are legal experts in the field of immigration law and have years of experience in handling immigration cases.
  • In-depth knowledge: Our immigration solicitors keep up to date with the latest changes and developments in immigration law. This means they can provide you with the most up-to-date and accurate advice on your specific immigration issue.
  • Support: We will provide you with the necessary support and guidance throughout the immigration process. We will advise you on any legal requirements or potential obstacles that may arise.
  • One-stop service: We will advise you about eligibility criteria, requirements, and required supporting documents. We will prepare your whole application and submit it to the Home Office.
  • Time-saving: Applying for any type of visa or citizenship can be a complex and time-consuming process. By using our service, you can rest assured that your application will be prepared and submitted correctly, saving you time and stress.
  • Better chance of success: We can help you to present your case effectively which can maximize your chances of success.