A Frontier Worker Permit is a new type of permit introduced in the UK for people who are working in the UK but living in another country. It allows workers who are not resident in the UK to continue working here while living elsewhere.

The Frontier Worker permit is intended for non-UK residents who are already working in the UK before the end of the Brexit transition period (31 December 2020). These workers may continue their roles in the UK and travel between the UK and their home country for work.

This permit does not entitle holders to live in the UK, access public funds or bring family members to live with them in the UK. It is a work-only permit that allows eligible workers to enter and leave the UK as needed for work purposes.

Who can apply

You can only apply for a Frontier Worker permit if you're from the EU, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein, and you:

  • live outside the UK
  • meet the requirements for working in the UK

Living outside the UK

You must live ‘primarily' outside of the UK. How you meet this requirement depends on how much time you've spent here since 1 January 2020. You'll be eligible if you've spent less than 180 days in total in the UK over the course of any 12-month period.

Supporting documents

When you apply you'll need a valid passport or national identity card.

You'll be told which documents you need to provide when you apply. Some depend on whether you're employed or self-employed, for example:

  • an employment contract, or contracts to work in the UK
  • payslips, or copies of invoices for work carried out in the UK

If you have ‘retained' status, you'll be asked for evidence for which criteria you meet. For example, a letter from a doctor if you have an illness, or copies of recent job applications if you're unemployed and seeking work.

This is a general list of documents. You must provide all other supporting documents depending on your circumstances.

Renewing your permit

When you renew your permit, you'll need to show that you continued to meet the eligibility requirements over the period of time since you last applied.

If you're not employed or self-employed at the point you apply to renew, or you're temporarily unable to work, you'll still be able to apply for a 2-year permit as someone with ‘retained' status (as long as you meet the requirements).

Why choose Western Solicitors

  • Expertise: Our solicitors are legal experts in the field of immigration law and have years of experience in handling immigration cases.
  • In-depth knowledge: Our immigration solicitors keep up to date with the latest changes and developments in immigration law. This means they can provide you with the most up-to-date and accurate advice on your specific immigration issue.
  • Support: We will provide you with the necessary support and guidance throughout the immigration process. We will advise you on any legal requirements or potential obstacles that may arise.
  • One-stop service: We will advise you about eligibility criteria, requirements, and required supporting documents. We will prepare your whole application and submit it to the Home Office.
  • Time-saving: Applying for any type of visa or citizenship can be a complex and time-consuming process. By using our service, you can rest assured that your application will be prepared and submitted correctly, saving you time and stress.
  • Better chance of success: We can help you to present your case effectively which can maximize your chances of success.